Creating a Facebook Page for your business is simple enough but attracting new fans to your page and keeping them tuned in to your content is another challenge in itself. In this post, I'll share some brief ideas of how to keep your Facebook page content fresh so that your fans will look forward to your updates and will hopefully turn to you when they need your service or product.
People love to see behind-the-scenes action of brands and business. These type of posts make fans feel like they have the inside scoop on your business,which in turn makes your business seem more trusting and open.
- If you own a restaurant, post pictures of your staff before their shift smiling and ready to go before the dinner rush.
- If you own a retail store, snap photos of new inventory being loaded off of a truck. Peak curiosity by asking your fans to stay tuned to see the new merchandise
- If you run a B2B company, post photos of your staff outings or any cool happenings at the office. It would also be a good idea to snap pictures taken at any community or charity events your company has participated in
For some reason, people really like to answer Trivia questions and more importantly, they like being the FIRST person to answer correctly! If possible, designate a day each week (Trivia Thursday for example) to ask a trivia question that is in line with your industry or indicative of current events at the time.
- Before Easter post a question regarding the holiday
- For a Travel company, ask your fans questions about the most popular vacation spots
- For a local boutique store, ask your fans of the exact date the store opened or how the name was created
Facebook fans love to feel special and what better way to do that than by offering an exclusive deal to them only? Post a coupon or announcement to your Facebook page and be sure to clarify that the promotion is for Facebook fans ONLY. (Also be aware of Facebook promotion and contest guidelines so that you aren't putting your page in danger of being deleted. More info on that here.)
- For a restaurant, offer a free appetizer with the purchase of an entree to all Facebook fans for one day
- For a lawn care service, offer a discount on any one service during the summer for loyal Facebook fans
- If you own a B2B company, create a coupon for 20% off your first service to the company or business owner
DON'T Talk About Your Business
There is nothing more annoying than a Facebook Business page that markets all day to their fans by only talking about their business. Try to include content that isn't just about you and your company but rather figure out ways that you can make your company sound selfless.
- Post about current events
- Share content that is relevant to your industry but may not come directly from your site
- Share content that will make people smile, laugh or think!
If you ask, they will answer. Sounds simple enough but the opportunities are actually endless. This is also a good way to ask your fans questions about the service of your company and even your progress in your social media efforts.
- Post photos of your product (every now and then) with a question that will get your most loyal fans talking "We love our new iPhone cover! Which color would you want yours to be?"
- Ask "How are we doing here? Tell us what you guys, our most awesome fans, would like to see more or less of from us on Facebook"
- Poll questions are great for engaging fans and customers online. "Let's settle this debate for good... Hardwood or Carpeted floors for your home?"
There is no absolute wrong or right way to do social media marketing for any business. Technologies come and go and regulations and fads change as well. Try not to stay inside the box too much and be sure to stay ahead of your competition by trying new things. If they fail, you can just move on to the next idea.
Want to receive information like this in your inbox every week? Sign up for the Social Ape Weekly, a weekly newsletter chock full of social media tips, best practices and productivity tools to help you become a better marketer!