Do you want to stand out from your local competition on Google? Google My Business is a free tool set up by the search engine giant to help businesses take control and ownership of their brand and location. If you haven't started using it already, you're running the risk of customers receiving incorrect information or not being able to find your business. Google My Business allows you to get noticed by genuine potential customers, manage your reputation and generate more business. Get started and set up your profile with these easy steps.
Create your listing
1. Log in to Google and click Manage Now.
2. Start typing the name of your business and if Google already has a listing, click the name.
3. If your business isn’t listed, fill in the details including address and/or delivery area. Pro tip: If you run an online store from your home, you might not want to have your address visible.
4. On the next screen, move the pin to your exact location, if you want customers to find your business. If you offer deliveries, you can determine your delivery method and service area.
5. Select the category your business falls under by typing it in and picking the best fit. Then, choose how you want your customers to contact you by providing a phone number and/or website link. Pro tip: If you don't already have a website, you can get a free one built based on your Google My Business data.
Check your email
If approved, you'll be notified by email. If you're denied, you'll be notified by email and have the ability to suggest an edit to the listing or, in some cases, request an appeal. If you don't receive a response after seven days, look for a claim or verify button on your dashboard and you may still be able to claim the business.
Verify your listing
Once you've filled out your information, Google needs verification that you are who you've claimed to be. This can be confirmed in a variety of ways. Here’s how to complete verification via mobile.
Choose the business that you'd like to verify, then click Verify Now.
To receive the code via an automated phone call, click Verify by Phone.
You will be given a code on the call. Enter it on the website and click Submit.
Optimize your listing
Add key information to your profile like an address, business description, website, hours and phone number. Next, you'll create and add media to your listing. This should include a profile image or logo to allow readers to quickly identify your business, as well as a cover photo to showcase the personality of your business. You can also add a 30-second video clip to highlight your brand even more. Pro tip: they need to be 100 MB or smaller and 720p resolution or higher.
Google My Business is an essential tool for businesses of all shapes and sizes. It's also very straightforward to set up, so why not make it easy for your local customers to find you?