Instagram recently announced IGTV, a new platform for longer, full-screen vertical videos, that's also accessible through the Instagram app.
If you're still not convinced that video is one of the most powerful ways to market your product or business, peep these statistics shared by HubSpot:
- Video is projected to claim more than 80% of all web traffic by 2019
- Adding a video to marketing emails can boost click-through rates by 200-300%
- Embedding videos in landing pages can increase conversion rates by 80%
- 90% of customers report that product videos help them make purchasing decisions
- According to YouTube, mobile video consumption grows by 100% every year
- 64% of customers are more likely to buy a product online after watching a video about it
- 87% of online marketers are currently using video content in their digital marketing strategies
And that's just to show off a few.
When a user opens the app, the IGTV video content from accounts you already follow will automatically start (just like your TV at home,) but on IGTV, 'the creators are the channels,' Instagram states. Instagram accounts that are verified or have a larger following have the ability to upload videos up to 60 minutes, while the rest of us are capped at 15. Still better than the minute cap we have now!
Within the new feature, users can swipe up to switch between accounts that they suggest to you, creators you already follow, popular content, and videos they haven't finished. Just like other Instagram content, users can like or comment on videos or send videos to friends in Direct. Creators with access can also add "swipe up" call-to-actions on videos.
Other Important Features to Know
- Creators have their own channels, like YouTube (and anyone can be a creator)
- Videos can be uploaded to the IGTV app or the web
- Videos on IGTV can also be uploaded to Facebook Watch
- File size: up to 3.6GB
- File type: .MP4
- Video size: 9:16
- Video thumbnail / cover image: .JPG
- As of launch, no advertising options are available, but Instagram says it eventually plans to make sure popular video creators are able to make money from their efforts
Brands Using IGTV
"Anyone can be a creator — you can upload your own IGTV videos in the app or on the web to start your own channel," says Instagram. Obviously, Instagram influencers like Lele Pons(25 million followers,) and other popular channels have a huge head start when it comes to engagement and viewership, but as YouTube stars figure out that the now 1 billion users are on Instagram, it's possible that you'll see more influencers heading to IGTV.