In 2017, ecommerce sales worldwide achieved a total of $2.304 trillion in sales, and it's expected to reach $4.5 trillion by 2021. Those are HUGE numbers that should make any business owner look into incorporating it into their business. Here are the top 4 ecommerce platforms based on the number of businesses using them and their key features:
WooCommerce is an open source e-commerce plugin for WordPress. It is designed for small to large-sized online merchants using WordPress.
Total sites using WooCommerce: 2,287,356
- Easy to manage admin panel
- Unlimited product categories
- Extensive range of plugins & extensions
- Secure payment gateway
- Great shopping cart
Shopify is a commerce platform that allows anyone to easily sell online, at a retail location, and everywhere in between.
Total sites using Shopify: 1,275,905
- Abandoned cart recovery
- Tons of themes, plugins, & extensions
- Mobile-friendly shopping cart, seller mobile apps and many other mobile-based features available
- Round the clock technical support via live chat, phone as well as tutorials, along with their powerful Shopify community forum.
With Premium features, you can create a Squarespace website or online store with custom content and integrations that help your business grow. Premium features, which include the Commerce platform, are available on the Business and Commerce plans.
Total sites using SquareSpace: 1,075,124
- Build an e-commerce store from start to finish without any technical knowledge
- Tools designed to meet the needs of any small business or organization
Magento is an ecommerce platform built on open source technology which provides online merchants with a flexible shopping cart system, as well as control over the look, content, and functionality of their online store.
Total sites using Magento: 651,035
- Open source and unlimited customization options
- Usability & Manageability
- More than 9,000 plugins and extensions
- Free social media extensions
- Extensive resource library for demos, new plugins, store management and everything around ecommerce stores