Beacons. Bluetooth. Business.
Facebook is introducing a new device that will direct in-store customers right to your Facebook Page. When people visit your business, the Facebook Beacon (about the size of an iPhone) will send a Bluetooth signal to your customers' phone where they will have access to 'Place Tips' which include:
- A welcome note and photo
- Posts from your Facebook page
- Prompts to like your Facebook page and check-in
- Their friends' recommendation of your place
The Place Tips section can be accessed underneath the Settings option on your Facebook Page where you can personalize what you want your customers to see. Follow the steps below:
A great tip to create a unique experience for your customers is to use incentives like free wifi or discounts to encourage people to engage with your Page, by either checking in or posting a photo while they are there.
Is a beacon right for your business? You can request a free beacon from Facebook (limited amounts available) to get started. If you're lucky enough to get your hands on one, here's how it works:
- To turn your beacon on, just remove it from the package!
- Peel the sticker off the back and place the device in an area of your business with high traffic, as the it's range is circular radius around the beacon.
- Create a welcome note to better connect with your customer (from the Admins page)
It seems that Facebook is finally taking steps out of their virtual world dominance with its new device. Do you think it can be beneficial for your business? Let us know in the comments!