WARNING! Statistics are likely to change before I finish this post.
The dynamic world of social media makes it nearly impossible for marketers and entrepreneurs to be complacent in their marketing strategies. You want to stay ahead of the game? Keep up with the statistics that make social media a major component of online business and advertising.
1. 1.79% of adult internet users are on Facebook
2. 22% of the world's total population uses Facebook
3. 81% of millennials check Twitter at least once per day
4. 32% of teenagers consider Instagram the most important platform
5. 41% of 18 to 34-year-olds in the U.S. are on Snapchat
Source: Social Media Today
6. Photo uploads total 300 million a day. (Zephoria)
This goes to show the engagement levels of Facebook and how much content there is to compete against.
7. There are 40 million active small businesses on Facebook and 4 million of them pay for social media advertising. (Forbes)
Small businesses should consider paying for Facebook ads to gain attention and visibility.
8. 76% of Facebook users visited the site daily during 2016, with over 1.6 billion daily visitors. (Social Media Today)
Facebook continues to be the most popular platform, making it a great place to find a consistent audience to target.
9. There were over 4.4 million videos uploaded to Facebook in February 2016, generating over 199 billion views. (ReelSEO)
That's a whopping view count people. Video continues to raise the bar on social media engagement and Facebook is where people are watching them.
10. There are 1.15 billion mobile active users on Facebook, as of December 2016. (Zephoria)
11. Link click account for 92% of all user interaction with tweets. (Hubspot)
Include links in your tweets to gain visibility on busy timelines and have more people share them.
12. Twitter has 1.3 billion accounts, but only 320 million are active. (Business Insider)
That's a rather large disparity. The good news for marketers is ads are becoming more prominent, so it may be time to start paying to reach the active users.
13. 51% of Instagram users access the platform daily. (Social Media Today)
Instagram is a major channel for engaging with millennials and most of them are checking their feeds multiple times a day. Create visual content that is aesthetically pleasing and caters to your audience behavior.
14. Posts tagged with another user (56%) or location (79%) have higher engagement rates. (Simply Measured)
Tagging other users gives your post a much higher chance to get re-shared or engaged with. Tagging your location can also store your posts into a category for people to see later.
15. Only 5% of global marketers reported that their brands are using the platform. (Social Media Examiner)
Snapchat has the potential to be a special place to reach an untapped audience, especially as live video content continues to be the benchmark for engaging content.